Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I have a really awesome professor right now who is revitalizing the way we all look at teaching. She has so many wonderful ideas and strategies that include every student in the class, not just the few that get it the first time. We have recently been talking about vocabulary strategies. My personal favorite is "Own the Word". This includes the student writing the definition in their own words, writing what part of speech it is, synonyms, antonyms, a sentence using the word, and drawing a picture of the word. Now tell me that isn't going to reach each student in someway?! And if a student is still stuck, send them on a Think-Pair-Share. Have them think about what they've written, have them pair with another student to find out what others think, and then share as a whole class. Gahhh I can't wait to have my own classroom!

Now I know it may seem like I am rambling, but this is going somewhere, I promise! I went back to my parent's house tonight and my little brother was working on his social studies homework. He was filling out a worksheet...writing definitions word for word from the glossary!! I can guarantee he will not remember at least half of those words after his test is over! What relevance is a word-for-word definition going to have in his life? None. So I told my parents I thought his homework was crap and then said to little brother, "Is your teacher like 90 years old?!". He says, "Nope, he's like 24." What?! He should have all the new, progressive ideas!! Don't get me wrong. I know that I am nowhere near being an expert in the field. Heck I'm only beginning to learn everything there is to know about education. But I do know that copying a definition word for word out of a textbook is not going to help me any. So a huge THANK YOU to my professor for teaching us all these fabulous new strategies. I cannot wait to implement them in my classroom.

Now for the wedding goods. I found a possible caterer today. Italian yummies anyone?? Mangia Italiana. It came recommended from a few girls on my local board on the Knot. They're a restaurant so hopefully my fiance and I can check them out soon. Their prices are very reasonable though and their menu is exactly what we are looking for!

No engagement pictures in the mail yet today...will continue to stalk the mailman. In the meantime, you get a ridiculously cute photo of each of my dogs in their new winter gear. Oh they hate me when I do this to them...




All the best,
Ainslee


1 comment:

  1. I would've loved to be a teacher, too. I think creativity is the most important thing to utilize in the classroom. I LOVE italian food :) anddd it's starting to get chillier here and I love it!! I love bundling up, just like you did to your poor doggies haha. Love you!

    ReplyDelete